Tuesday, July 24, 2012


#16. What are your 5 greatest accomplishments?
1. Taking 3 AP classes in one school year and surviving. I watch my students struggle with just one AP class, and I realize what I managed to do as a high school senior was no small task.
2. Graduating from college. I'm the only person in my family who has a 4 year degree. My mom has a 2 year degree. My dad served in the Navy for a few years and eventually went to community college, but never finished. Only one of my siblings went to junior college, but dropped out with one semester left.
3. Graduating from college debt free.I didn't realize how big of a deal it was until afterwards when I started to hear about high school friends dealing with student loans. I realized it was an even bigger deal once I had to start helping the hubby pay off his student loans. How did I do it? Well, I qualified for a Bright Futures scholorship which would pay 75% tuition at the university level. My first year at community college, the scholarship decided to pay 100% tutition for community colleges, since their cost was roughly 75% that of university rates. The entire time I was in college, I worked 25-40 hours a week at a medical office. My paychecks went directly to textbooks. By the time I was at UCF, I could afford to pay the remaining 25% out of pocket. My parents made a deal with me that if I would pay my tutition my last two years, they would buy my textbooks. Scholarships, parents, and hard work. Graduating debt free is possible.
4. Moving out of my parents' house and living on my own for a year. Honestly, growing up, I never thought it was possible. I watched my siblings move out and struggle to pay their bills every month. Sometimes they would even have to borrow money from our parents to get by. All of my siblings, at some point, would be forced to move back in with our parents. I always told myself that whenever I moved out, it would be for good. Being able to live by myself, without a roommate, and managing to live rather comfortably... I'm pretty proud of myself.

5. Marrying my high school sweetheart. When we first started dating, I was doubtful that we would get married. Sure, I dreamed about it. But there was always that voice inside my head that reminded me that high school sweethearts rarely make it in the end. 6 years later, we became Mr. & Mrs.

What do you feel some of your greatest accomplishments are?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...