Monday, July 9, 2012

Super Power

I thought it would be nice to start this week with a fun question from the challenge:

#21. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it first?

Immediately I thought about the stereotypical super powers: flying, xray vision, super strength. But then I thought those were too boring...too typical. I wanted something different. And something useful. Plus, I like the idea of having a super power that wouldn't have to necessarily hide from people.

So, I decided to look it "list of super powers" online. Realized there are a whole lot more super powers out there that I never considered. Having the ability to stretch? Would make a lot of things easier. The ability to heal myself, like Wolverine? That'd be pretty cool. Or what about being able to breath under water? Sort of like Harry Potter in the 4th book/movie. Would definitely save us a ton of money on getting scuba lessons.

As cool as all of those sound, I narrowed down my choice to omni-linguism. What is that? Well, it would give me the ability to understand any form of language; basically a natural polyglot.

In comparison to the other super powers, this one doesn't sound as impressive. But I'll tell you what, this ability would make many teachers envious! I have many students who speak Spanish, and I have no idea what they are saying. My first year teaching I had a foreign exchange student from Germany who struggled with English. By having the ability to communicate with them, or at least understand them, it would help me help them.

Besides omni-linguism helping me in my job, I think the coolest feature about it would be the fact that I would know if people were talking about me in their native tongue. Come on, you've been there. I'll give you one of many possible examples. You're getting your nails done, and the ladies who are doing your nails are talking in their native lanuage. You immediately think they are talking about you. I can't be the only one who has every thought or felt this way. Please tell me I'm not alone! Even if the super power wouldn't give me the ability to communicate with them in their native language, it would give me the ability to understand them.

What about you? If you could choose, which super power would you go with?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...