Thursday, February 9, 2012

Recipe Resolution: Parmesan Roasted Potatoes

I'm back with the second installment of Recipe Resolution. This little idea all started back around the first of the year when I made a resolution to try one new recipe a month. Why? So I could learn to make things that my hubby likes to eat that I don't. And it gives me the chance to try some new things.

While I was cruising through my Pinterest boards for pulled pork recipes for my first recipe resolution, I saw a bunch of potato recipes also pinned. I figured while the pork was in the slow cooker, I could keep myself busy and also cook up some potatoes.

THE RECIPE



So I found this pin featuring Parmesan Roasted Potatoes from Chicho's Kitchen. You can find the list of ingredients and recipe here.

THE PROCESS
Step One: Gather your ingredients. I typically won't mention this step, but I did want to mention that I misunderstood the original recipe. When it said "parmesan cheese" my mind went to actual shredded cheese. Now, I realize it probably meant the parmesan cheese from the green bottle.



Step two: Mix the cheese and spices into a bowl. I added salt & pepper to the recipe at this stage. Also, I mixed them all probably an hour before I ended up using them and just placed the covered bowl back in the fridge.






Step three: Cut the potatoes into bite size chunks. Because I wasn't a fan of how the potatoes were looking, I also opted to peel the potatoes first.







Step four: Drizzle potatoes with oil. Then combine with the cheese/spice mixture. Spread out on a baking sheet. This is the point where I realized that the cheese was probably wrong. The cheese/spice mixture wasn't sticking to the potatoes very well.








Step five:  Place in oven. After allotted time, pull out and serve hot.




MY THOUGHTS
I'll be honest, when I started to spread out the potatoes onto the baking sheet, I thought I had ruined it. And the worse part was that I knew our friends were coming over within the hour and expecting dinner. I was seriously about to throw in the towel and talk the hubby into ordering pizza on what was probably the busiest pizza night of the year (Super Bowl). But the hubby talked me into waiting it out. 

My biggest complaint was the amount of cheese that had overcooked on the baking sheet. Whatever was still attached to the potatoes themselves tasted fine. But it was annoying that there was that much wasted cheese that just burned during the cooking process.

Overall taste? Not bad. I typically have to dip my potatoes in ketchup or ranch when I eat them, but these I was able to eat without any type of sauce. They wasn't any one overpowering flavor that jumped out at me. All the flavors mixed really well. 

Would I do it again? Yes, but I would definitely try it with the other type of parmesan cheese. Obviously it would cut down on the amount of burnt cheese left on the baking sheet. But I also think it would create more of a crust. And I think I'll try it with the little golden potatoes (yukon golds, right?). I've done roasted potatoes with them before, and I didn't have to peel them.

THE HUBBY'S THOUGHTS
The only thing that I thought was kinda weird about the potatoes is that they came out really red. Too much paprika? The photos on the original recipe site weren't nearly as red as ours turned out. But overall they tasted good. Can't wait to try it with the other parmesan, and maybe a little less paprika.

So there you have it. Recipe #2 down. I have to say that I'm getting excited about the search for the next recipe. Who knows - maybe I'll get around to recipe #3 before the month is over. Then again, with how much is on my plate right now, I'm doubting that. But we'll see.

Anyone else a fan of roasted potatoes? Or maybe you fail to read/understand directions and make mistakes along the way? Luckily my mistake didn't turn into a disaster.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...