Thursday, May 9, 2013

Downhill



Yep. This is what I overhear my students saying to one another after I pass out review packets. But you know what? This far into the school year, it doesn't bother me. It probably should. But it doesn't.

20 more days until the students are gone, including weekends. 13 more school days. Then only 2 more days until I'm officially on summer break. But who's counting, right?

My US History students have completed their state-mandated End-of-Course exams. I'm not too optimistic about the results. But who knows when those scores will come in... Its the first year it was administered, so the state has to set scale scores and all that fun stuff. So what does that mean? Well, it means I'm done teaching. Well, done teaching history anyway. It was all covered before the EOC. So now we're doing some lessons on personal finance. It keeps us busy. Plus, its important that students know this stuff before they graduate. Hey, here's an idea! Rather than testing students on math and reading, let's make sure they know the difference between a debit card and credit card before they graduate... Isn't that scary??? I swear I'm asked a question about their differences every year.

My AP students are testing next Wednesday. At this point its all review, review, review. And at this point, its all on them. I've given them the information they need and the tools to help them retain the information. Now its up to them. I'm even starting to think about AP next year... flyers and teacher recommendation forms were sent out to all of the sophomores to get the recruitment process started. 273 stapled packets later....

My formal evaluation has been over for a few weeks now. Already had my post conference with my assistant principal. Now all that's left is to wait for test scores to come in and plug them into some crazy formula that no one can interpret and apply that to my overall evaluation score.

Oh yeah, and my grades are caught up! That never happens! Seriously, the "turn in" bins on my desk are empty. Its such a relief to come to school everyday and not have a pile of papers waiting to be graded. Normally at this point in the year I'm scrambling to get grades caught up so that the students know if they passed or not. I don't know how I did it, but I'm caught up. **knock on wood**

So yeah. I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Everything is falling into place. Sure, there's still a whole lot of craziness left - senior clearance slips, more testing, schedule cards, 9th grade orientation. But, you know the best part about all of that? The light at the end of the tunnel. And every day that light becomes brighter and brighter. And that makes it all bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...