Monday, October 10, 2011

The River City (Part One)

 Just popping in with a few pictures from my home away from home this week (don't worry, the fiance is staying home with the cats!).

View from a random hallway.

 View from our meeting room.

View from my hotel room.

I was invited to attend a workshop in Jacksonville (a.k.a River City) on short notice last week. Was a little hesitant about leaving my students for a week, but now that we're done with Day 1, I'm glad I came. I'm the youngest teacher here, and it definitely shows - but not necessarily in a bad way. Unfortunately, I'm not too thrilled with the hotel, though I'm not going to say exactly where I'm staying at this point because I'm too afraid of Internet creeps (though I'm sure that no one really even knows my blog exists, so I doubt there would be any creeps to come after me anyways). Maybe I'll post my review of the place later on.

Anyways, despite the hotel situation, I'm learning a lot about what is expected of me as a history teacher as well as what my students will be expected by the state to know before they graduate high school. And I'm getting an opportunity to connect with other social studies people from across the state which is always nice. You get to hear about how other counties and districts run things, and it also lets you know that it's not just your students who are struggling with a particular concept.

Enough vague rambling about what I'm learning & doing (since I signed a confidentiality agreement, I can't really give much more information). I need to finish freshening up to go out to dinner with some of the other teachers here at the workshop. Looking forward to see a little more of Jacksonville. :)

Anyone doing anything interesting this week? Or maybe you're embarking on something that is totally foreign to you and puts you out of your comfort zone? Because that's how I totally feel about this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...