Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Party Pooper


I guess now is the time where I say the obligatory "Happy Halloween" to everyone out there. But honestly, the title of the post could very easily describe me. I didn't go to a Halloween Party this year - though the fiance and I were both invited to one. I think we've been invited to this party for the last few years, but something always comes up. The fiance has a "go to" costume that he uses every year, but I didn't have a costume, and I didn't think I could make one out of the stuff that's already hanging in my closet. Plus, we got an invite to a birthday dinner, which we both decided we wanted to go to more.

Our school has an early childhood program, and thus a daycare center. The Tiny Tots (what we called them) went trick-or-treating around the campus today. Teachers were suppose to sign up for the little ones to come to their room for candy. For the second year, I chose not to sign up. Both times it was for the same reason - I didn't exactly have the money in the budget to buy candy. But then I beat myself up over it because I could have easily gone to the dollar store and bought some cheap candy. But, I didn't feel like going to the store. Does that make me a bad person?

And then, tonight... Tonight there are going to be dozens of kids running around our apartment complex dressed up in their costumes, knocking on doors with pumpkins on them. See, our complex has this pumpkin rule. Since we don't have porch lights, we are suppose to hang a designated pumpkin on our door if we have candy for treat-or-treaters. But alas, no pumpkin will be hanging on our door. Why? Well, the same reason I didn't sign up for the Tiny Tots. I don't feel like I have the money to spend on candy, nor did I want to make a special trip to the store.

Our budget is tight with the wedding only 2 weeks away. And I just can't talk myself into purchasing a large bag of sweets for the purpose of handing it out to strangers. Besides, last year I bought 2 small bags of candy last year for the complex treat-or-treaters, and only 3 kids showed up. The fiance and I ended up eating the rest of the candy ourselves. Although some might say that's not necessarily a bad thing - when we're both trying to lose weight, it sorta is. The more temptations we have in front of us, the less poundage we see disappearing on the scales.

But does this make me a bad person? Not giving into the hype that is Halloween? I mean, really, what is the point?? Sure, it's fun to get dressed up and get free candy....if you're 5 years old! But as an adult, is there really a point? I'm sure once I have kids of my own, I'll feel differently about the holiday. Or maybe not - at that point it will cost even more to participate!

Reading these articles (here and here) on Dave Ramsey's website has helped me lose some of the party-pooper guilt. I've set my priorities, and Halloween candy and costumes simply aren't one of them. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Disclaimer: Dave Ramsey doesn't know me or anything about this little blog, so he in no way endorsed my inclusion of articles from his website. I went through one of his Financial Peace University courses a few years ago, and I have officially jumped on the "Ramsey Bandwagon."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...