Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cats Meow: Vet Visit

A couple of weeks ago, our female cat, Periwinkle, started showing signs of a urinary infection. It wasn't the first time this problem had occurred. First we noticed that we were having to refill the water bowl more frequently. Then, it happened. She peed outside of the cat box. And it wasn't as though she was emptying her entire bladder; it was just a tiny bit. And that's when I knew she needed a trip to the vet before things got worse.

Luckily I have an amazing administration staff at my school who not only gave me the name of a great vet in town, but also let me sneak out of school a little early to beat the after school traffic so I'd have enough time to get home, grab the cat, and get to the vets office. Seriously, I love the people I work with.

Anyways, so after the vet came in and saw Periwinkle, he said it could be one of three things. It could be a simple urinary tract infection, which could be solved with antibiotics and pain medication. The other options were a little more complicated. The first was that she could have bladder stones which would require surgery. And the other was some sort of inflammatory condition which would have to be treated with constant medication. Obviously, my wallet (and heart) liked the first option the best.

I talked with the vet about the budget for this particular visit, and he agreed to pursue the first option. If after taking all of the medication, the symptoms continued or reappeared, then we'd have to do blood work and xrays to determine what the underlying problem is.

My wallet breathed a sigh of relief. And, oddly enough, I think Periwinkle breathed a sigh of relief as well. As soon as the vet left the exam room to get her prescriptions, she was all of a sudden in a very lovey-dovey mood. Like rolling around on the exam table and nuzzling the edges. She would stop. When the vet came back in to give me the drugs, she wouldn't stop nuzzling his hands. I think it actually started to get on the vet's nerves a little bit.

Anyways, since we were in the exam room for a little while, I snapped a couple pictures with my phone of pretty girl's weird mood.


Wanna play?


Deep in thought 

Planking? Monorail kitty?

Looking to the heavens? Or just trying to figure out the noise coming from the other side of the wall. 

A rare moment. Periwinkle showing off her belly and wanting it to be rubbed. Beware though, it could be a trap!

I was worried about taking her to a new vet's office. But her mood before, during, and after the appointment settled any fears that I had. Like I said, it's been a couple weeks since the initial appointment. And she just finished up her antibiotics a couple of days ago. So far, so good. Keeping our fingers crossed that the symptoms don't show up again.

Do your pets like the vet's office? Usually our cats hate the vet's office. Shoot, they start hating the office the minute we have to put them into their little crates for the car ride. Any advice on how to make trips to the vet's office easier on both the pet and human?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...