Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back to School Thoughts


Photo Source - This is how I imagine my kids tomorrow...

Today was my last day in my classroom before my new batch of students arrive tomorrow bright and early. This is my second year teaching - and I think I'm actually more excited about this upcoming year then I was last year. In May, I reflected on my first year of teaching. So, I thought I'd write a list of random thoughts (in no particular order) I've had over the past week.

  • I'm excited about this upcoming year. It should be easier considering I've already done this once. All I need to do now is tweak the things that didn't work last year and make things better.
  • I think they make new teachers go to way too many meetings. Don't get me wrong, all of them are totally helpful and needed. However, I remember last year being very overwhelmed by all the meetings as well as having to get everything ready in my classroom. This year was so much easier - tons of time in my classroom to get things done.
  • I'm stronger then you might think I am. Yes, I'm a girl, but I can carry 11 textbooks at one time. I am very capable of moving furniture around without having to ask for help.
  • I keep my classroom a lot more organized then I do my own home.
  • Yes, I'm young. Yes, I look like a student. No, you're not the first person who has told me this. But, I am very capable and very good at what I do - don't let my being young fool you.
  • Spiders. I can handle little spiders. Even daddy-long-legs. But, oh my gosh! That one was huge!! Thank you Ms. D for killing it and coming to our rescue! :)
  • It's amazing how much of my own personal money I spend on supplies for my classroom. Luckily, I saved up a bunch of supplies throughout my years in college, and I've been "living" off of that. But I see my pile slowly dwindling...
  • Anyone want to donate to my classroom fund?
  • It's more amazing that I know I'm going to have students come to school without paper and pencil. This concept I have yet to wrap my head around... I'm not that much older, so I don't think it's a "generational issue," but when I was growing up, pen/pencil and paper were your basic requirements.
  • Document everything. Keep a portfolio. My job & salary depend on it.
  • Without getting too far into it: Sometimes I think state legislaters should spend a week as a teacher. And I think the reverse can apply as well - teachers should try to be state legislaters.
  • Just realized I haven't figured out what I'm wearing tomorrow. Need to make sure I look "adult" and "older" so as not to confuse the kiddos.
  • I hope I can live up to everyone's expectations and not disappoint them.
  • I'm really dreading the whole "name change" thing in November... my first semester kids (we're on a modified 4x4 block schedule) will always know me by my maiden name. But my poor second semester kids will walk in thinking they have "Ms. Maiden Name" and get "Mrs. Married Name." This will be fun, right?
Just a little glimpse into some of the things that cross my mind over time. When do the kiddos in your area go back to school? Are you one of those not-before-labor-day areas? Are you sad that summer is basically over? Any other teachers out there share my thoughts? Would love to hear from you!


p.s. So I mentioned in my birthday post that the fiance had something planned for this weekend as a birthday surprise. Well, first of all, he drove all the way down to the apartment to spend the evening with me so I didn't have to spend my birthday all alone. Secondly, he surprised me with baseball tickets....to see the Braves.....play in Atlanta! I promise to give all the details to the weekend (hopefully) sometime next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...